top of the world

top of the world

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Last Day

I can't believe three weeks has passed and now it's time to go home. It has been an amazing journey and I am not through with Thailand! I will be back! Our last morning was spent touring some of the the canals of Bangkok on our own rented longtail boat (with a driver!) It was so worthwhile to see another side of this great city. Loved it:
We had drinks just an hour or so ago at a rooftop bar near our hotel with a great view of Wat Arun lit up for the night. An excellent way to end the day...
About halfway through the day, I looked around me at the chaos of Bangkok and started to feel nostalgic, as if I were already looking back on my time here. Everything took on a heightened sense and I was able to really sear sights and smells and sounds into my memory. (And no, I was not smoking anything funny either!) I hope I can carry this memory of Bangkok with me always.... the street stalls, the smiling people, the golden temples, the friendly stray cats, the music, the flowers everywhere.... In my travel journal there is a quote that I will end with: "Free is the deer in the wood, and the fish where the river flows. Free is the bird in the sky, and the gypsy wherever she goes." That's me! I could do this forever!

No comments: