top of the world

top of the world

Friday, November 8, 2013

Bangkok to Krabi (and where are the cockroaches?)

Yesterday was our last day in Bangkok so we decided to explore the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew . It was just as amazing the second time. As lonely planet describes it: A dazzling spectacle of mosiac tiled facades, gilded spires and ornate murals. It's always very crowded and with the heat it's a bit of a challenge to really take your time and absorb it all, but we spent several hours there giving the camera a work out. no picture can really do it justice but I will post a few shots:
Some of you have heard me lamenting the fact I did not try the ever popular and tasty cockroaches last time I visited Thailand and promising to post pics of me eating them this time...well where are these delectable cockroaches? I haven't seen any this time! Is there a season for cockroaches? Is there a shortage in Bangkok? It's a mystery! Anyway, I will keep searching for them..... Today we flew to Krabi in the southern part of Thailand on the Andaman Sea. The area is mostly known for it's karst formations made of limestone that rise from the sea to impossible seeming heights. I just love bizarre landscapes like this. I haven't photographed them yet, but I'm sure some pics will follow soon. Today we enjoyed just relaxing at our resort, the Somkiet Buri Resort and Spa in Ao Nang, and took in sunset on the beach. Very beautiful place:
Me by the pool with our "hut" in the background.
Mark on our veranda after a swim.
Longtail boat at sunset this evening. That's all folks! I'll keep searching for those cockroaches and try to get some good pics of the karsts tomorrow!

No comments: